Sunday, March 19, 2006

Love Poems: the sequence

Okay, I wasn't planning to do this. My original intention was to teach myself how to write a love poem because I haven't written, well, any proper love poems before. So I dashed off a dozen candidates over the course of a couple of weeks. And then I started workshopping them.

The results of the poems that I have workshopped to conclusion (#s 1, 2, 3, 4 and - just about - 6) are very pleasing to me. My redraft of #5 has distinct possibilities. Of the remaining six drafts I have reasonable hopes that #s 8, 9 and 11 can be knocked into shape with a bit of work, #10 needs some serious root'n'branch work and #s 7 and 12 need to be completely reconsidered.

If I can get this work done before NaPoWriMo kicks off in April then this'll be one of the most productive periods in my entire poetic career ever.

Now then. During the workshopping process a number of people have asked me if these drafts are intended to be a series of poems. I've always said: no! But this morning I had a fresh look at the idea and I think it could - just about - work.

The result is currently just over 5 pages long. If anyone wants to offer feedback on the ordering or anything then that would be great. I'd also welcome views on whether or not the sequencing idea is worth the effort, and if not then which poems (if any) I should concentrate on polishing.

(Not that I'm thinking of publishing any of them. Though I was tempted by the idea of submitting some of them to Reb Livingston's rather fabulous No Tell Motel just for the devilment of it all.)

Now don't be shy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment