Sunday, December 04, 2005

NaNoWriMo: the aftermath

So, I set out last month to write a 50,000 word novel. 59 thousand other people had the same idea, and 9,700 of them succeeded in their quest. I was one of the many who did not, managing only 12,000 words in the first couple of weeks before real life (and work) intervened.

I've no idea what I feel about the quality of my product. I think the prose style is adequate, and won't need too much work to turn into something reasonable. One person commented that the obligatory sex scene was "one of the funniest things I've read in a long time" which is, I suppose, something.

12,000 words isn't a bad start, and I intend to continue writing the novel when I get the chance. To save people the chore of looking back through this blog to read the work to date, I've posted the lot onto my website (edit: now removed). It will also act as a reminder to me that the next time someone casually mentions: "Fancy doing NaNo this year?" I have to say Never Again!

1 comment:

  1. Methinks th'art too modest, Rik Roots.

    I really enjoyed reading the 12,000 words you wrote, and want to read more.

    I'm one of those who finished, mainly because I'm a stubborn bitch, and I wasn't going to let the month beat me. But I may have a higher tolerance for writing complete drivel (not often, I hope) for the sake of wordcount.

    I was once a composition teacher, and preached to my students the value of drafting pure crap. The pleasure an the greatness lies in the mining that happens later.

    ReplyDelete