Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Snowdrop 7.4

I'm missing out 7.3 at the moment because it's taking a long time to write. Here follows section 7.4 of the continuing saga:

The Moon on the Marsh

"I know the bones of this place! This tower's stones
were tumbled down the hill and sheep had sheared
the grass to a mat. I watched the ants who reared
their herds of greenfly here; I plucked the thrones
of bumblebees and wound them into crowns -
this place was safe, above the Marsh where I
could breathe the air and watch the seagulls fly
to the sea, free from care. And now it's drowned!
Gran's house is gone, dissolved by waves that chase
the moon's white path to France. No roads, no flush
of light from Dungeness, warning the ships:
beware! The Marsh is a snare, a bastard place.
It binds me down with memories that crush
me flat, and now it's drowned I'm lost in shit!"


If anyone's interested in watching this monster grow, the whole draft to date is posted on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment