Thursday, April 02, 2009

NaPo 09 ~ From the Ass's Jaw

I seem to be producing one of these poems every NaPo. Another 19 years and I might have enough of them to make up their own chapbook ...

From the Ass's Jaw

"Do you believe in destiny?"

He's old, this one, blind
as he walks in the steps
of a child. His breath
smells sweet, brandy in flame;
his lungs buzz. I shake my head:

"we are what we do, no more."

He laughs: "a harsh judgment
you place on my back; I have killed
many men. A child of the sun
can do no more than follow
the knots embraided in his hair."

"I have no comb to change you ..."


He knocks bills from the desk
as he leans to my face: I see
midnight enthroned in sockets.
"I chose to push the pillars,"
he says, "cascade that stony sky.

"I am a good judge. Are you?"

1 comment:

  1. 'midnight enthroned in sockets' and 'cascade that stony sky' are great lines. Love the title! Best of luck for the rest of the month -- good to see you on board!

    ReplyDelete